Image: Estadio Latinoamericano, Havana, Cuba (© Marlies Gabriele Prinzl)
Words are my bread & butter.
My name is Marlies Gabriele Prinzl and I am a language consultant.
I am a seasoned copyeditor and proofreader, but also do translation, transcription and sometimes even interpretation work (usually as a fixer). I grew up with multiple languages in different countries, an upbringing that makes me particularly sensitive to regional variations and cultural nuances. With a solid academic background in literature, linguistics and translation, I worked as a (founding) tutor at the Writing Lab at UCL, a top British university, for four years. I gave workshops on topics such as “Introductions & Conclusions” and “Polishing Your Writing: Precise, Concise & Varied” and edited everything from dissertations to abstracts to articles for peer-reviewed journals. I have also taught English and German to language learners.
I am happy to tackle just about any topic and type of text. Beyond academia, I have worked with cover letters, CVs, film reviews, formal emails and letters, social media and blog posts, business reports, marketing pamphlets, grant applications, catalogues for museums and galleries, news updates – you name it!
I am a stickler for accuracy and consistency, so especially suited for long and/or complex requests. I have a 4.98 out of 5 star rating for 4000 jobs on an online editing platform for proofreaders.
I love: Language(s). Monsoon. Soondubu jiggae. Good tea & coffee. Both Kanji and Hangeul. And living everywhere.
(Image: © Jun Michael Park)
- PhD in Translation Studies (University College London, UK) – Jan. 2017
- MA in Translation Studies (University of Birmingham, UK) – 2009
- MSc in Comparative and General Literature (University of Edinburgh, UK) – 2005
- BA in Liberal Arts, Major: Humanities (University College Utrecht, the Netherlands) – 2004
- Full-time language consultant since 2016
- Part-time translator and proofreader since 2004
- Previously worked as a literature teacher and language tutor
- English (British, American) – Native
- German (German, Austrian) – Native
- Spanish (specialised in Latin American Spanish, with particular experience in Costa Rican and Cuban Spanish) – Advanced
- Dutch – Advanced
- Korean – Upper Intermediate
I translate into both English and German from any of my languages.
I am currently studying Korean and Japanese and am aiming to offer translation services for these languages in a few years’ time.